Brussels-based travel organization European Best Destinations recently named The Most Beautiful Christmas Trees in Europe, with upcoming Vilnius tree declared as the leader from the continent’s seventeen most attractive.
Not a single tree was cut down to build Lithuania’s most beautiful Christmas tree. The 27-metre tall metal construction made up of some 6,000 branches and lit by 70,000 bulbs will be completely sustainable. All the actual tree branches used in the construction are defiled from the trees by foresters while carrying out the general maintenance of the forest.
The particular figure which served as a model for decorations was found during the archeological excavations around the Ducal Palace in Vilnius. Dating back to the 14th-15th century, the beautifully ornamented figure was made of spindle tree. Its middle part is carved with geometrical patterns and topped with floral ornaments. According to historians, the game of chess was played by the nobility of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from the end of the 14th century.
Erected in Vilnius Cathedral Square Christmas tree will greet the citizens and city guests starting from November 30th.
Here are Europe’s top 5 Christmas trees:
1. Vilnius, Lithuania. Holiday Market Open: November 30th, 2019 – January 7th, 2020.
2. Prague, Czech Republic. Holiday Market open: November 30th, 2019 to January 6th, 2020.
3. Strasbourg, France. Holiday Market open: November 22nd to December 30th, 2019.
4. Cologne, Germany. Holiday Market open: November 25th to December 23rd, 2019.
5. Kyiv, Ukraine. The Christmas market is open to visitors from 19th December to 13th January.