The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine has strengthened the rules for entering Ukraine. Starting from 23 March 2021, according to the adopted amendments to the Government Resolution No. 1236 of 9 December 2020, foreigners must have a negative PCR test, while Ukrainians must have a negative PCR test or serve 14 days of self-isolation. Let’s take a closer look at the new rules.
Starting from 00:00 24th March 2021 all passengers who are not Ukrainian citizens while entering Ukraine must:
1) have a confirmation issued in any official EU language of the negative PCR test for COVID-19. The test must have been taken at most 72 hours before entering the country;
2) have a valid insurance certificate issued by an insurance company registered in Ukraine or a foreign insurance company, which has its representative office in Ukraine or a contractual relationship with an insurance partner company in Ukraine, and covers the costs associated with COVID-19 treatment, observation, and is valid for the period of stay in Ukraine.
The same applies to transit passengers.
In case the passenger travels by transfer through Boryspil airport, stays in transfer zone, and doesn`t cross the state border of Ukraine, the above-mentioned demands are not applied. Transfer passengers need to follow entry rules and requirements of the final destination country.
In the absence of a test and/or insurance policy passengers will be denied to cross the state border of Ukraine for entry or transit.
Besides the above-mentioned demands are not applied to:
- foreigners and stateless persons permanently residing in Ukraine (whose who have a residence permit in Ukraine);
- persons recognized as refugees or in need of additional protection;
- employees of diplomatic missions and consular offices of foreign states;
- representatives of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine and their family members;
- persons who are drivers and/or crew members of freight vehicles, buses engaged in regular transportation;
- crew members of aircraft, ships and river vessels;
- members of train and locomotive crews;
- militaries (units) of the Armed Forces of NATO member states and member states of the NATO “Partnership for Peace” participating in activities of training of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Citizens of Ukraine in order to cross the Ukrainian border must have a negative PCR test that was done a maximum of 48 hours before entry.
In the absence of the test, the Ukrainian must install the application Vdoma and self-isolate for 14 days. It is possible to complete self-isolation ahead of time in case of a negative PCR test result. The test is not necessary for children under 12 years.
A citizen of Ukraine or a person with a residence permit may not buy an insurance policy.
A person’s presence of a certificate of antibodies to COVID-19 or a vaccination certificate does not exempt him/her from the need to have the results of testing for COVID-19 by PCR before crossing the state border.